1. The Government appointed new board members to the UK Atomic Energy Authority.
Shrinivas Hornap, Sue Scane and Professor Sir Adrian Smith were appointed as new non-executive board members for three years from April 2018.
(UK Atomic Energy Authority, News Story, 23 April 2018, link)
2. Wood secured a contract to provide the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority with Specialist Technical Assistance.
This contract is for two years with a potential two year extension. Wood will consult, provide technical advice, and undertake research for the NDA.
(Nuclear Industry Association, Member News, 26 April 2018, link)
3. The low level waste repository published its National Waste Programme Quarterly Report.
This report tracked the progress of all nuclear industry waste producers in the UK to achieve their strategic objectives
(Low Level Waste Repository Ltd, Corporate Report, 26 April 2018, link)
4. The Department for Exiting the European Union reaffirmed in answer to a written question, that ‘The Government will seek a close association with Euratom.’
The Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for the Department for Exiting the European Union, Robin Walker MP, also noted that in March the ‘European Council agreed guidelines for the next stage of negotiations on this future relationship.’
(Robin Walker MP, Written question – 135728, 23 April 2018, link)
5. Two researchers are starting projects with The Nuclear AMRC on electron beam welding to minimise the risk of crack propagation in nuclear pressure vessels.
(Nuclear AMRC, Nuclear AMRC News, 23 April 2018, link)