1. Project started at Dounreay to reduce risk of raffinate, with suppliers asked to express interest in participating.
The highly radioactive liquid waste will be mixed with cement and other materials to create a more stable solid waste package. The Scottish Government is asking suppliers to express interest in contracts to construct an extension to the waste storage facility.
(Nuclear Decommissioning Authority, Nuclear Decommissioning Authority news story, 12 March 2018, link)
2. In Parliament, Richard Harrington MP, the Minister for Business and Industry, confirmed the Government is ‘seeking the closest possible association with Euratom.’
The Minister did not however, answer Layla Moran MP’s question of whether the Government would ‘kick-start the process before 1 July?’.
(Layla Moran MP, Hansard, 12 March 2018, Col. 710, link)
3. Sellafield’s intermin storage facility project is now ready to support waste retrievals.
Sellafield held an event to mark the completion of the intermediate level waste store.
(Sellafield, Sellafield Ltd Press Release, 14 March 2018, link)
4. The Department for International Trade held its 2018 Civil Nuclear Showcase.
The event highlighted opportunities for international collaboration across the nuclear sector.
(Nuclear Decommissioning Authority & Sellafield, News Story, 12 March 2018, link)
5. EDF Energy released a report titled ‘Hinkley-Point C: Realising the Socio-Economic Benefits.’
The report was presented to MPs, Lords and business leaders from the East of England at its launch in Westminster. The report showed Hinkley Point C has almost 200 apprentices and more than 1,100 businesses registered on the supply chain database.
(EDF Energy, EDF Energy Press Release, 13 March 2018, link)