On 10 June 2019, the Government lay legislation introducing a new supplier-led, subsidy-free Smart Export Guarantee (SEG). The SEG is designed to replace the Feed-in Tariffs scheme which was discontinued in March 2019.
1. Horizon CEO urges industry to fight for nuclear
On Thursday 2 May 2019, the Committee on Climate Change (CCC) published a report outlining how the UK can reach Net-zero emissions by 2050.A key component of the plan is the widespread adoption of carbon capture usage and storage (CCUS), however, a lack of policy and financial backing calls into question the likelihood of this happening soon.
1. Hinkley Point C running to schedule and soon to meet major milestone
1.Failed nuclear projects cost National Grid £137 million
1. Sellafield fined after worker exposed to eight times the annual limit of plutonium
1. MAGNOX announces new CEO
In the Spring Statement 2019, the Chancellor of the Exchequer, Philip Hammond MP, announced that the UK is going to shift towards low-carbon heating.
1. EDF faces pushback on plans for new nuclear in Suffolk
1. Public perception of nuclear revealed in Yougov poll
1. The Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Committee launches an investigation into the future of UK energy infrastructure
On Thursday 17 January 2019, Hitachi announced its suspension of the Wyfla Newydd nuclear project.